Anchorage’s experienced, high-tech obstetric ultrasound.
Introduced in the 1950s, ultrasound imaging is very useful as a diagnostic tool in the field of obstetrics. Using sound waves instead of harmful ionizing radiation, ultrasound provides direct images of — and precise information about — both the developing fetus and the pregnancy.
Ultrasound: monitoring and measuring for optimal obstetric care.
Ultrasound produces images by interpreting the echoes of high-frequency sound as it passes through different types of tissue. The various tissue types affect the rate of echo, which a computer translates into distinguishable images. These images are used to monitor and measure a variety of different aspects of pregnancy and fetal development, making ultrasound a vital — and indispensable — part of obstetric care today.
Comprehensive obstetric ultrasound exams for mother and baby.
At Alaska Family Sonograms, our highly trained, credentialed and experienced sonographers are extremely skilled in obstetric ultrasound, which plays an essential role in the care of every pregnant woman. Combining our own capabilities with state-of-the-art ultrasound technology and an unsurpassed commitment to compassion, we perform ultrasound exams to:
- Diagnose and confirm pregnancy early on – We can see the gestational sac, the yolk sac and the embryo by 5½ weeks. Our sonographers also confirm that the site of the pregnancy is within the uterine cavity.
- Document the viability of the fetus in the presence of vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy
- Diagnose ectopic and molar pregnancies in the first trimester
- Help determine date of conception and delivery
- Assess and measure:
- The baby’s head and spine
- Fetal organs, including heart, stomach, bladder, kidneys, intestine
- The baby’s extremities – arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet and toes
- Your baby’s face
- Detect, diagnose and measure fetal malformations
- Determine gender, if desired, usually at 16 to 20 weeks
- Assess the placenta – detect or exclude placenta previa, and evaluate for placental abnormalities in the presence of diabetes, RH isoimmunization and intrauterine growth restriction
- Measure and monitor multiple pregnancies (twins and high-order multiples)
Advanced, experienced and highly compassionate ultrasound care.
In addition to regularly scheduled obstetric ultrasounds, Alaska Family Sonograms performs specialized ultrasound exams as needed. And just as important as our state-of-the-art capabilities and experienced skill, we provide the compassion, individualized attention, heartfelt understanding and support pregnant women and couples depend on. Our sonography team is well known in Anchorage for treating everyone like family, catering to their comfort and genuinely being there for them, whatever their needs.
State-of-the-art diagnostic and 3D/4D ultrasound in Anchorage.
Also, a longstanding reference site for ultrasound leader Toshiba, AFS has the most up-to-date technology, producing top-quality images for diagnostic purposes but, also, for 3D/4D imaging. Separate from diagnostic exams, 3D/4D ultrasound — particularly with our highly advanced equipment — provides truly spectactular real-time, three-dimensional footage of your baby, letting you “see” your baby up close even before your delivery date.
For more about obstetric ultrasound at Alaska Family Sonograms in Anchorage, or to schedule an appointment, call 907-885-0390. You can also request an appointment using our easy online form.